Discussion

Explanation:

There are 5 types of biscuits, 3 types of candies and 4 types of savouries. Among 16 shelves, there are 4 empty shelves.

It is given that all items of same type are clustered together with no empty shelf between items of the same type.

From (3) and (4), it can be concluded that D, E, F and K are savouries.

From (2) and (5), L, I and J are of one type and H is the other type. Therefore from (6), as C is a candy, L, I J must be types of biscuits and H is a type of candy. Now using (1), we can conclude that A and B are of one type but not candies as there are only 3 types of candies.

Therefore,

Biscuits: A, B, I, J, L Candies: C, H, G Savouries: D, E, F, K

From (3), (4), (6) and (7), there shelf number 12 must be an empty shelf. Also, D, E, F and K are placed in shelves numbered 13, 14, 15 and 16 respectively.

Now from (1), (2) and (7), the sequence (from left to right) in which biscuits are kept is:

(Empty shelf), L, A, B, (I/J), (J/I).

From (6), the candies must be in the following order: (Empty shelf), (Empty shelf), C, (H/G), (G/H)

Thus, we have

​​​​​​​In each case, J and I can be arranged in 2 ways and G and H can be arranged among them in 2 ways. Thus, 2 × 2 = 4 ways.

Total number of ways the items can be arranged on the shelves = 4 + 4 = 8

Hence, option (b).

» Your doubt will be displayed only after approval.

Doubts

Feedback

Help us build a Free and Comprehensive Preparation portal for various competitive exams by providing us your valuable feedback about Apti4All and how it can be improved.

© 2024 | All Rights Reserved | Apti4All